The Executive Director is the key management leader of the Builders Guild of Western PA, Inc. (Builders Guild). The Executive Director promotes quality union construction; provides a forum for labor and management to collaborate on common issues; and helps create career opportunities for men and women interested in working in the construction industry. The Executive Director’s major responsibilities include board governance, financial management, mission and strategy and the operation of the organization.
• Board Governance: Lead the Builders Guild in accordance with the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors and provide accurate and timely information to the Board to enable the Board to make informed decisions and function optimally. Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek guidance in policy decisions, financial management and to increase the Builders Guild’s overall visibility and reputation throughout the region.
• Financial Management: ensure the fiscal strength of the organization by developing a proposed annual budget, preparing and submitting monthly financial statements accurately reflecting the financial condition of the organization and maintaining a positive financial position for the organization. Collect member dues and develop other resources necessary to support the mission of the Builders Guild, provide staff and financial resources to sustain the organization.
• Mission and Strategy: Through the Board and staff, work to ensure that the mission and strategic plan of the Builders Guild is fulfilled and sustained into the future by: o Promoting union construction and the use of local contractors throughout the region o Developing and maintaining close working relationships with local contractor organizations o Developing and maintaining working relationships with local minority and women owned businesses o Establishing and maintaining relationships with various regional organizations including local, city, county, and state elected/public officials; out-of-town architects and engineering firms; developers, and engineering procurement and construction contractors. o Enhancing the image of the regional union trades through active and visible presence in the community and work closely with other professional civic and private organizations. o Promoting union trades as a viable career option after high school graduation starting with 7th and 8th grade students. o Serving as the Builders Guild’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s stakeholders, the media, and the general public o Oversee marketing and other communications efforts
• Organizational Operations: Supervise and collaborate with the staff in the day-to-day operations; implement appropriate resources to ensure effective administration including hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff for positions approved by the Board. Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the Builders Guild. Oversee organization board and committee meetings. Review and approve contracts for services and on behalf of the organization, sign notes, agreements, contracts and other instruments in accordance with Board direction.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, preferably in Communications and Marketing. • Five or more years of public relations experience, preferably in construction or a construction-related industry, including strong public speaking ability. • Understanding of the union construction industry • Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting • Strong organizational capabilities, written and oral communication skills; high integrity leadership skills coupled with transparency and the ability to interface and engage with diverse groups • Prior experience managing a non-profit organization
The Builders Guild of Western Pennsylvania is a unique non-profit labor/management initiative, representing 16 building trade unions and six affiliated contractor associations. The Builders Guild was created to forge positive labor, management and community relationships, while encouraging a cooperative and productive climate for regional development. Central to its mission is to change the way un...ions and management “do business” by fostering cooperation, encouraging working partnerships, and creating an environment that promotes economic and professional growth.