At this exciting time in the organization’s history, Tall Ships America seeks an energetic and entrepreneurial leader to guide the organization though its next phase of national growth and success. The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board, will establish the goals and strategies of the organization; oversee its operations, finances, fundraising, partnerships and business development; and create value for our member vessels and crew.
This position requires a visionary and committed individual who will serve as the public face of a professionally diverse membership organization. The Executive Director must be an agile learner, curious, and able to quickly adapt to new challenges.
Working closely with an active and engaged Board of Directors, the Executive Director will:
• Be the principal voice for the organization in public settings.
• Lead the successful planning and execution of Tall Ships America’s signature event, the Tall Ships Challenge; manage contract negotiations with representatives of ports and member vessels; and oversee all aspects of sailing vessel participation.
• Develop and implement a successful fundraising and stewardship plan to support the organization’s operations.
• Develop and manage the organization’s annual budget.
• Guide negotiations with government and regulatory agencies to ensure the safe and thriving operations of member sail training vessels.
• Represent the interests of member vessels, guide the establishment of professional standards, and uphold Tall Ships America’s standing as the leading professional association of North American Tall Ships.
• Oversee the planning and implementation of an Annual Conference.
• Lead collaborations with other maritime and heritage organizations that advance Tall Ships America’s educational and leadership mission.
• Lead marketing, social media and other outreach efforts that build the organization’s brand.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Experience in aligning strategic vision with organizational capacity; possess strong business acumen and experience managing a complex nonprofit organization,
• A strong track record of fundraising through individual giving, grants and corporate sponsorship,
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to serve as a compelling spokesperson who can articulate Tall Ship America’s mission and work to a variety of stakeholders,
• An inspirational, collaborative, and goal-oriented management style, and
• The ability to travel nationally to lead on the ground during Tall Ship events.
About Tall Ships America
Tall Ships America is a national non-profit organization, recognized by Congress and around the world as the official professional association of the sailing ship and sail training community. As a member-based organization, Tall Ships America: manages an annual series of ocean races and national port events known as the Tall Ships Challenge; organizes an Annual Conference on Sail Training And Tall Ships; publishes the directory Sail Tall Ships!; serves as the professional association and lead advocate for sail training vessels and their crews; overseas government relations affecting the interest of the sailing ship fleet; and guides and inspires member vessels to be successful platforms for leadership development, maritime preservation and education.