NRPA believes in the power of parks and recreation to increase the health, wellness, vitality and resilience of communities everywhere. Rooted in social equity, NRPA advocates on behalf of all people, delivering funding, resources and innovative solutions to the issues impacting our communities.
NRPA is currently seeking a Program Manager for our Health and Wellness team in the Programs & Partnerships department. The Programs & Partnerships team at NRPA works to improve quality of life through local parks and recreation across three pillars: health and wellness, conservation and social equity. This position's primary responsibility will be to provide detailed program support and management of key projects that further NRPA’s goals of advancing parks and recreation into community wellness hubs, connecting every member of the community to essential health and wellness programs and services that improve health outcomes.
This position is responsible for the direct management of grant funded projects and NRPA initiatives including grant planning and execution to meet project goals, grant communications, technical assistance and professional development, evaluation, resource development, and reporting. This position also supports donor and partner relationships to include direct communication, sharing grant progress and updates, participating in and leading partner calls. Other duties include development and dissemination of resources to support department goals. This position should work collaboratively with members of the health team, other PPD members and all NRPA staff.
At NRPA you will be an instrumental part of advancing the organization’s strategic priorities focused on building healthy communities, ensuring equitable access, and climate resilience. You will report to the Director of Health and work with a group of passionate, creative, and fun leaders dedicated to creating more equitable, healthy, and resilient communities through parks.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Project coordination, including the management of grant-funded projects within the Programs & Partnerships portfolio to include training and technical assistance, data collection, resource development, communications, and partnership building.
· Customer service, including the provision of superior technical assistance to grantees and regular communications with members.
· Communications support, including content creation for articles, blog posts, presentations, website updates, management of networks and peer learning groups, etc.
· Budget management, to include assisting in the management of project budgets, tracking expenses and revenue, processing payments, and providing input on budget creation.
· Representation of NRPA at conferences, meetings and site visits with local park and recreation agencies.
· Collaboration with all NRPA departments to maximize the value of each project within the Programs & Partnerships portfolio.
· Undertake special projects and assignments as directed.
· Monitor trends across the park and recreation field and emerging health threats related to NRPA’s health and wellness priorities.
Salary: $50,000 - $55,000
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
· Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education meet the qualifications (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to an in-person interview. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
NRPA has been named a Top Workplace by The Washington Post every year since 2014. To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour work-week, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. Situated on park land, our Ashburn, Virginia campus boasts a warm professional environment, with a relaxing and peaceful view of nature at its finest!
The space offers indoor & outdoor eating areas, as well as indoor & outdoor fitness opportunities, including an air-conditioned fitness room with access to showers, as well as foot trails for the outdoor enthusiast. NRPA also maintains office space in Washington, D.C. for its D.C.-based staff that is centrally located and convenient to the blue, orange, silver and red subway lines.
· Bachelor's degree or continued education equivalent or industry certification or equivalent
· Five or more years of experience in a related field (parks and recreation, public health, social services, nutrition programming)
· Passion for parks and recreation, health equity, community health, emerging public health threats, and/or social justice
· Excellent communication (oral, written) to effectively and politely communicate with individuals at all levels, including members, partners and donors
· Interest and willingness to facilitate meetings, trainings and professional development opportunities, and present on behalf of NRPA at conferences, meetings
· Knowledge of and experience with community health programming to include federally funded programs (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP); local public health initiatives, community health workers, healthcare partnerships, etc.
Candidate Work Style •Excels in dynamic, fast-paced work environment • Self-directed and detail-oriented with a collaborative and professional team spirit to contribute to a collegial, team-oriented environment • Willing to travel up to 25 days per year
About National Recreation and Park Association
The National Recreation and Park Association
NRPA is a national, non-profit service organization devoted to advancing park, recreation and conservation efforts that enhance the quality of life for all Americans. The Association works to extend the social, health, cultural, and economic benefits of parks and recreation. Through its network of over 21,000 recreation and park professionals, NRPA encourages recreation initiatives for youths in high-risk environments, the promotion of healthy lifestyles, and the conservation of natural and cultural resources. NRPA works closely with national, state and local recreation and park agencies, corporations and citizen groups in carrying out its vision.
NRPA is committed to improving public understanding of leisure¡¦s significance in a full and meaningful life. Its long-range plan embraces the following goals.
„h To promote public awareness and support for recreation, park and leisure services, the constructive use of leisure, and the physical and mental health of the individual. NRPA also strives to promote public awareness of the environmental and natural resource management aspects of recreation and leisure services.
„h To facilita...te adoption of socially progressive and environmentally appropriate public policy for recreation and leisure services.
„h To strengthen professional and citizen skills and effectiveness, thus enhancing services to the public.
For more information, contact NRPA headquarters at phone: 703-858-0784, fax: 703-858-0794 or e-mail: email@example.com.